Sunday, August 19, 2012

Oh, Africa


Staying true to who you are is a huge part of fashion. Fashion or rather, one’s style, is an extension of who you are. Like it is said, ‘you are what you eat’, so, too, I feel it is in fashion: you are what you wear. Well at least, the most part of it.

Lately, I am attracted to ethnic fashion or how it is better known, the ‘tribal trend’. I am excited that there is so much at our disposal with this trend being conceived by our very continent, Africa. Often, our local designer’s look to international fashion front runners for inspiration and forget to look within themselves - their own heritage. Africa is yet to lead the fashion pack with not only it’s diversity but also the great skill our people possess. Think about it, we have uneducated people who weave baskets on the streets for a living, plait hair for a living, bead for a living, not to mention our 'amaXhosa' boys who go to the bush to become men and emerge stylishly wearing plaid shirts, jackets and brogues to match – this attire having been earned when a ‘kwedini’ becomes an ‘ndoda’.  We are a continent rich in textures, taste and colour, I could go on and on but my point is that If only our fashionistas and designers could use these people and influences as a source of inspiration and help to create wonderworks on the runways and in the streets, we would not only be showing ourselves to be one unique nation but also alleviating poverty one bead or weave at a time.

Musicians like Thandiswa Mazwai, Simphiwe Dana and Siphokazi ‘keep it real’ for me. They have been embracing Africa in their dress for as long as I know otherwise. This I respect, but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect the white girl wearing an African beaded bib around a buttoned to the collar shirt – that’s stylish and creative and not to mention, African. It’s the way one interprets something and as we are all individuals I think it’s somewhat expected to see Africa through a million eyes. Well, I’m the girl who would wear an African beaded bib around a buttoned to the collar shirt because that’s just my style. I am not Thandiswa or Siphokazi, I am me, but I am also African.

We have it all, but the world wont recognize our fashion ability if we do not project ourselves. Let us no longer allow fashion front runners to steal what was first ours and make it seem as though it was their idea. I think it was pure genius of our African tribes (and that of the Native Americans) to have started a trend without them even knowing it.










No comments:

Post a Comment